Thursday, March 24, 2011

Un-Petroleum Jelly

If you don't like Vaseline a.k.a. petroleum jelly for what ever reason, here is an alternative.  I have seen this recipe many times, but never really cared to make it until a friend started talking about purchasing it and of course Ms. DIY had to know the ingredients and figure out how to make it myself.  I stored it in a glass jar this time because it was what I had, but I will order some plastic tube bottles so that I can minimize hands in jar.

Un-petroleum jelly is supposed to be easily absorbed by skin (that's why I used Coconut Oil because it assist with skin absorbtion), unlike vaseline which coats the skin. 
Ingredients:
  • 1/2 cup Oil ( use any oil of choice)
    • For this recipe I used 1/4 cup Coconut Oil and 1/4 cup Castor Oil
  • 2 TBSP Vitamin E Oil
  • 1 ounces beeswax (weight)
Recipe makes 4 ounces and is supposed to  last 6-8 months. 

If you find recipe to thick or vice versa increase/decrease beeswax or oil. 

Instructions:
  1. Weigh out beeswax and place in double boiler
  2. Add oil(s)
  3. Stir oil(s) as beeswax melts
  4. Pour oil mixture into sterile jar of choice
  5. Stir as it cools and then let sit over night uncovered
Voila!!


Un-Petroleum Jelly Uses:
  • lip balm/gloss ( add mica for color)
  • sealing hair ends (won't coat hair like Vaseline/petroleum jelly)
  • skin moisturizer (face and body)
  • makeup remover
  • See Vaseline post for more ideas
  • Use in different recipes



5 comments:

  1. Would love to make this! Can you purchase beeswax at drug store/Walmart or do you have to get it from health food store?

    ReplyDelete
  2. you can get it online and craft stores as well also, but I would be concerned if they were for cosmetic use.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, was searching for the Alba Un-petroleum Jelly but we cant get it here in South Africa, so came across your recipe on how to make it:) Was wondering if using this on my face would block my pores?

    ReplyDelete
  4. i'm not sure, I never used it on my face, I don't use oils on face outside of the OCM method. nothing beats a failure but a try.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Will this melt if it gets too warm? I just worry about it turning liquid and leaking out of the container if carried in purse or diaper bag.

    ReplyDelete