Monday, November 8, 2010

DIY Ayurvedic Shampoo Bar

I have recently started my own Ayurvedic Challenge this month.  I have to admitted, I am not really liking the rinsing out the paste part.  Because I have all these powders and I hate to waste, I have decided to make my own Ayurvedic Shampoo bar.

Now, I'm not really keen on using Lye, so I have decided to use Castile Soap as my base. (Got idea from Natural Beauty Basics: Create Your Own Cosmetics and Body Care Products) You can also use pure soap a.k.a Ivory Soap or the melt and pour method.


Ignore the messy table

Ingredients:
1 bar of Peppermint Castile Soap-Grated ( What I had already)
3 tsp of Brahmi
3 tsp of Amla
2 tsp  of Shikaki
1 tsp of Neem Powder
3tsp of Bhringraj Oil
3 tsp of Shea Butter
2 tsp of Coconut Milk

2nd Recipe( Couldn't Find some of the items in my house, LOL! So I had to improvise)

1 bar of Peppermint Castile Soap-Grated ( What I had already)
3 tsp of Brahmi
3 tsp of Amla
2 tsp  of Shikaki
1 tsp of Neem Powder
3tsp of Bhringraj Oil
2 tsp of Henna Powder
1 tbsp of Honey
Instructions:

  • Take grated Castile soap and add Bhringraj Oil
  • Cover glass bowl and let Sit Overnight
  • Place all ingredients in food processor/blender
  • If using and essential oil, add one drop at a time ( mine already has peppermint bar)
  • Wet your hands and form soap into balls using 1/2 cup of mixture at a time
  • Place the soap balls on waxed paper until dry and firm ( The larger the soap ball the longer it will take to dry)
 NOTE:  After using this bar, I would try decreasing the amount of herbs used, so as not to overpower the actual soap.  I might as well just did the full Ayurvedic Paste method. 
..
Voila!!!




I know this looks gross, but I really want the benefits of the Ayurvedic herbs, So this is my alternative to using the paste.

Maybe next time I wll press the mix into a pretty soap mold!!
Enjoy!!


1 comment:

  1. Wow, this is such an amazing idea! I have almost all those ingredients so I might try making it someday.

    ReplyDelete