Tuesday, June 21, 2011

DIY Setting Lotion

This isn't really a recipe from scratch so to speak, but a mixture of store bought products to meet all my hair desires, LOL!  Many people have different renditions of this recipe, but this is what I had on deck and made me more comfortable than some of the large un preserved water based recipes called for. 

I have kind of slowed down on creating new recipes and just looking for good products at Whole Foods, etc. 

Anyhoo,  I have been doing my 1 month challenge of  Henna application every week and I have also been experimenting with hair styles( twists, twist outs, wash n gos).  One thing I can say is my hair has been retaining moisture like never before!!  I can easily go 3-4 days without re-applying any product as long as I tie it up and sleep on my satin pillow, but I digress.

Here is a good and most importantly Quick mixture of products that will provide your hair with moisture, hold, smoothing and sealing in moisture without the dry crunch of using setting lotion alone!

Ingredients:
  • Knot Today/Allaffia Daily Leave-in Conditioner
  • Setting Lotion
  • Castor Oil
In a small bowl pour 1 tbsp Castor Oil, 1.5 tbsp Setting Lotion ( I sprayed about 3-5 pumps in the bowl) and then add in the Leave-in conditioner. You can use whatever your favorite leave-in conditioner is and setting lotion.  Stir and apply!

It's really easy and you can make just enough for one application with no worries of preservation, etc!  I don't know the setting lotion I used because I just poured it into a spray bottle over a year ago and decided to use the last of it.  I got it from Sally's though.  Once I use the last of this unknown blue setting lotion, I will be trying the Giovanni setting lotion.

The results of my flat twist out!


I have had so much trouble trying to perfect my twist outs, without all the frizz and I think I just found it!

Enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful!!! Your hair looks amazing

    ReplyDelete
  2. How much conitioner did you use in the recipe please?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not sure, but it was probably around 2-3 tbsp. I only make enough for one time because mixes need proper preservation and I'm no chemist, lol!

    ReplyDelete