Saturday, October 30, 2010

DIY Powdered Herbs


Herbs can be used fresh, dried or powdered.  

Fresh/Dried herbs (leaves, barks, roots)  can be used for infusions, decoctions, and teas(powdered herbs are virtually impossible to strain).

Powdered herbs are used for lotions, mask, cream, lotions, soap, etc.

While shopping for different herbs online, I couldn't help but wonder if I could purchase them locally.  So I tried a local fresh market and found rosemary, lavender, peppermint, spearmint.  I also visited a Chinatown and found bulk burdock root, orange peel, nettle, and hibiscus.  But what I found interesting was none of these herbs came in powdered form. So, of course being Ms. DIY, I had to figure out how to use all these herbs I had just purchased and their usage depending on the recipe, i.e. beet roots for tinting lip balm.

Creating your powdered herbs:

  • Dry/Dehydrate your herbs if fresh
  • Take your dried/dehydrated herbs and place in blender/food processor/grinder
  • Grind herbs until they become a fine powder
  • Store powders in clean and dry jars with lid

Voila!!

Save money and shipping!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment