Thursday, November 10, 2011

DIY Oil Blotting Powder & Primer



I have been testing a recently order primer sample for the past few days and I noticed at the end of the day, I didn't have shiny forehead.  I'm usually VERY shiny by the time I get to the gym, ugh!  So, this powder is a winner so far!

Why am I posting this?  This is not a prodcut review, but rather a you can make this "product" at home for a fraction of the price. 

The powders ingredients are....drumroll.....kaolnite.  Now isn't that just the INCI name for kaolin clay???  So of course I googled it to make sure my hypothesis was correct and BOOM it was.  According to Mountain Rose Herbs,  Kaolin clay is:

Total Kaolinite- 97%
Silicon Oxide- 46%
Aluminum Oxide- 37%
Iron Oxide- 0.79%
Titanium Oxide- 0.37%

So this 2 gram(.07 ounces) sample that I just paid $3.00 plus shipping costs about $4.00 for 8 ounces.  Shut the front door!  See this is why I give some natural companies the side eye, like really!?!  I found several companies that sold this very powder with varying ingredients for $12+ for kaolin clay in a jar w/ a sifter.


Some other variations to this finishing powder/primer/viel include cornstarch, rice powder, arrowroot powder(sensitive to conrtsatrch), titaniam dioxide, etc.  There are some other minerals that can be mixed, but I don't plan on figuring out the correct formulas for using them.  For now the kaolin clay works fine, but when the summer hits, I may up the anty and add some other minerals or just purchase this one oily skin powder I got mine eys on, lol.  This powder has those above mention minerals I'm not trying to figure out proper formulations with at the moment.  (I'm currently in a just buy it mood right, now). 

Long strory short, try Kaolin Clay as a great primer and oil blotting finishing powder that can be used alone or with makeup.

Ways to personlaize:
  • Cornstarch
  • Rice Powder
  • Tinatinum Dioxide (UV protection)
  • Zinc Oxide
  • Arrowroot Powder
  • Brown Oxide(tinted color)
  • Learn about more ingredient options here

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. I really have oily skin. I have used a lot of product but they never helped. But when I started using Chambuu blotting sheets, it helped my skin a lot. I liked it because it's organic. You can purchase it here: http://amzn.to/1Rg1Kjt and use the discount code I found WYMBLF6S.

    ReplyDelete