Saturday, December 25, 2010

DIY Herbal Rinses


So, as you know, I have been on a 6 month Ayurvedic Challenge and I must say, I am not really being all that consistent.  That paste is not the business and I am not really feeling the time it takes right now with my busy schedule.  But I have all these Ayurvedic powders, and I don't like to waste. So, I researched Ayurvedic Infusions.

As I have mentioned before, an infusion is steeping your herbs in a oil or water.  There are also decoctions(Bark & Roots), etc.  So  I will be using my left over Ayurvedic powders to create post shampoo rinses, herbal waters for creams, shampoos, etc and oil infusions, thus keeping to my challenge( I'm not a quitter)!

There are three types of rinses that you can create:  Herbal Tea Rinses, Herbal ACV, and Herbal Hair Rinse(Tea and ACV)

Rinses are to be used post conditioner.  They help add shine, smoothout the cutilce, soften hair, remove soap residue, restore hair ph balance and assist with hair managability.

Think about it as making a tea.  You can either just dump the powder straight into the water and strain later(using cheesecloth) or use a tea bag/mesh infuser to make this infusion. 

Herbs For Hair
Ayurvedic  Herbs For Hair


Water Infusion Instruction:

1 cup Distilled Water
1-2 tablespoons of dried herbs(2-4 tbs fresh herbs)
1/2 cup AVC (optional depending on your herbs)
 ( The rule of an infusion/decoction is 1 part herbs to 8 parts water)
  • Bring Water to a boil and then add powdered herbs/tea bag
  • Reduce heat and let simmer for 10-20 minutes.  (Keep pot covered)
  • Remove infusion from the heat and let cool
  • After the infusion has cooled strain out the herbs using cheesecloth or remove the tea bag
  • Add your ACV and essential oils if desired now and stir.
  • Pour into clean glass jar of choice.
Keep refrigerated and it is best to use within the next four days!!

ACV Herbal Rinse
2 cups apple cider vinegar
1 cup chopped fresh herbs or 1/2 cup dried herbs
  • Pour ACV into clean glass jar and add herbs of choice.
  • Store in refrigerator and shake jar periodically for 2 weeks
  • Strain herbs from  ACV and it's ready for use.

Application:
  • Take 2 tablespoons of Herbal ACV and add to 1 cup of water. 
  • Use as a post shampoo/clarifying rinse


Refrigerate for up to  6 months!!
 Enjoy!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment